The Poison Control Center (PCC) at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is a nonprofit, regional poison control services provider. The Center offers a 24/7 emergency hotline staffed by registered nurses and pharmacists with special training in toxicology. Information and treatment advice are offered to the public and healthcare professionals at no charge through the hotline and educational resources produced by the experts at the Poison Control Center.
Se habla Español: Sí
Hearing impaired hotline: 215-870-8789.
What we need to know to help you:
What is your name and the name of the person who was poisoned?
What is the phone number where someone from the Poison Control Center can reach you for follow-up?
What is the age and weight of the person who was poisoned?
Do you know any information about the person's medical history that would be important for us to know?
What product, medication or poison was the person exposed to?
When possible, have the product/medication at the phone with you when calling the Poison Control Center.
The specialist may need to confirm ingredients with you since there are many products or medications that have similar names but different ingredients.
At what time did the exposure or ingestion occur?
How does the person look now?
Describe any physical symptoms the person may be experiencing.
Detail the events surrounding the exposure:
How long was the person in contact with the poisonous substance?
Was it swallowed, inhaled, absorbed through skin contact, or splashed into the eye?
How much could he/she have ingested, was anything done for the person before the Poison Control Center was called?
How did the exposure happen?
Tips to remember before treatment:
If medicine has been swallowed, do not give anything by mouth until advised by the Poison Control Center. nbsp; If chemicals or household products have been swallowed, offer a small amount of water to the person, then call for professional advice.
** Never make someone vomit unless advised to do so by a professional.
The information that you give to the specialist is very important in helping to determine the extent of the poisoning.